Friday, September 09, 2011

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster

Title: Beautiful Disaster
Author: Jamie McGuire

Genre: Adult

Rating: 5/5

Cover: 10/10


I loved, loved Beautiful Disaster!
I'd had the sample chapters in my kindle for a while, just waiting for the dust to settle so I had time to hunt down a new book, and the second I read those first two chapters, I knew I was a goner: I was hooked like a junkie needing its next fix.

The thing about this book is how entirely different it is from most of the books out there today. Usually, you have the boy and th girl, and maybe they fall in love at first sight; maybe they bicker to death and THEN notice it's love. Regardless, at the end of the day, they kiss and that's the end of the book.
Don't start Beautiful Disaster expecting that. Oh, sure, there's the couple. And yeah, they bicker so much you start fearing for their lives... The thing about McGuire's narrative that had me so hooked so fast, was the utter and complete normal vibe the book just exudes.
When the couple fights, you can actually feel their emotions like you're a character of the book yourself, because the situations are all just so ridiculously stupid, dramatic and with not an ounce of sugar-coating, that it could easily happen to you next week.
All that said, I loved the air of mystery that hung around Abby regarding her father and her past, and I can say with no shame at all that watching Abby and Trav battle it out gave no small amount of amusement, which always comes in handy.

An excellent read, packed with day-to-day situations that will have you alternately cringing, swearing, shaking your head in dismay and/or exasperation and on the floor in stiches. I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)