Monday, March 05, 2012

Book Review: Clockwork Prince

Title: Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices #2)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Historical, YA
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 8/10


I'd have written a review sooner, but I was still reeling with the ending. I don't believe I've felt so heartbroken with the end of a book since I finished Richelle Mead's Shadow Kiss, and goodness knows that almost killed me, though I had the next one to pounce on immediately.
In this case, I'm left with a broken heart, a thoroughly confused mind and no next book to ease the pain. Extremely frustrating, to say the very least!
And yet, despite the moments when I just stared at the book, shook my head in frustration, yelled at it, let the tears fall, and/or wanted to kill some characters, you'll notice I gave it five stars.
That's because I believe that what determines if a book is good or not isn't if the author paired who we wanted or not, but if the book is able to bring out strong emotions in those reading it. And Clockwork Prince most DEFINITELY did that. I was a sobbing, blubbering mess of nerves when I'd finished it, and had no idea what to do with myself.
Clockwork Prince has that very Cassie Clare feel to it: amazing plot, incredible characters, impeccable setting... in other words, a wonderful read.

Tessa started standing up for herself more, which I loved. I adored also seeing her friendship with Jem flourish. Gabriel and Gideon were interesting to me mostly because I was trying to see some similarities between them and Alec and Izzy. They're definitely there.
Magnus is always a welcome addition to the party; I love love him to bits, and some of the best scenes involved him (though his timing for interrupting is just horrible. HORRIBLE, Magnus!).
Will's story, on the other hand... that was the beginning of the undoing of my heart. I can't imagine what that poor boy had to go trhough, how much it hurt him to do everything he did for five years, only to find out in the end... I thought he took it quite well; I'd have gone on a rampage and smashed some things. And of course, his little monets with Tessa made me squeal with utter delight. That is one man who deserves to be happy and be loved heart, body and soul, and I believe Tessa can give him that.
It shocked me, though, how RIDICULOUSLY OBLIVIOUS both Jem and Will were about the other's feelings towards Tessa. I thought they were blood brothers; surely they'd have noticed? Well, apparenyl not. I am also incredibly mad at Tessa for what she did, and for what she said to Jem. Because of her, my heart is torn to smithereens on the floor.
I want both Jem and Will to be happy, but not if the happiness of one means sacrificing the happiness of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)