Monday, March 05, 2012

Book Review: Crossed

Title: Crossed (Matched #2)
Author: Ally Condie
Genre: Dystopia, YA
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 10/10


At first, I have to admit I was a little miffed. The first half of the book just put me on edge, especially after Cassia really does get out there after Ky, and stuff just keeps on happening that kept making me swear her crazy plan was never gonna work out. It gave me a feeling of helplesness and anger, because I knew stuff she didn't, and I wanted to yell at her to hurry the eff up already.

Then... okay, sue me. I was - and still am, a bit. Like I said, sue me - too uncertain about the whole Ky and Indie shenanigans. It seems a bit far-fetched to follow along what Cassia said, and I did get a feeling, at times, like Ky (and maybe Indie too, though obviously since we don't see from her perspective, it's hard to tell) wasn't quite so certain of his love for Cassia as he himself thought he was.
And then all that build-up about this huge secret Xander had, and how it could change how Cassia saw everyone around her... and the reveal was totally anticlimatic. And speaking of Xander, I'm not entirely convinced he didn't know about the blue pills, either. Though I'm more willing to forgive him for that than to ignore that nagging little voice in the back of my voice that yells at me that Indie spells trouble in paradise for Ky and Cassia. Probably because that little nagging voice is usually right.

STILL, you'll notice I gave this a five-star.
I'm of the firm opinion that a book can be only passable all the way through, but by all the literature gods above and below, if the ending is good enough to make me itch for the next book, then the author has fully completed her purpose. The ending of Crossed didn't make me itch for the next book. It made me BEG for it. It's not one of those take-your-breath-away-OMG-what-will-happen-next? cliffies. It's the even worse kind: the kind of ending which could very well be the middle of the book. The characters are just going about their own business, off to meet a non-mentioned 'he' (my vote goes for Xander, but who knows?), and then... it's over.
I was literally left there with my chin sagging, unable to believe it had finished there. I hate open endings, because they drive me insane trying to figure out what happens next. Luckily for me - and my somewhat questionable sanity - this isn't the last book in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)