Friday, April 19, 2013

Billy and Me

Title: Billy and Me
Author: Giovanna Fletcher
Genre: YA
Rating: 4/5
Cover: 6/10

I got this book as an ARC, and would like to thank Penguin for the chance to read it.

I’ve read quite a few books about the girl who falls in love with the rich, super-hot guy, and then their struggle to make their relationship work. My favourite famous-guy will always be Kellan Kyle, but Billy was great (despite his rather unfortunate name… which grew on me as the book went on), as far as egotistically inclined super-famous and ridiculously rich men go.

I really enjoyed the book, and it was an easy read throughout. Sophie was like a breath of fresh air after so many weak-willed, simpering heroines, who, after a little sweet-talking and puppy-dog eyes, always end up doing what the love interest wants. But not Sophie. She stood her ground, and battled her way through a situation no one is ever prepared for. She never lost herself and her feisty, independent nature, and I really liked reading about a girl who isn’t badass, can’t kick everyone’s ass with her eyes closed, but is still incredibly strong and powerful in her own, natural way. Most of the strong females in books are girls who are good at fighting, and while I appreciate how they show that girls can be just as physically adept as boys, it was lovely to see a girl show strength simply by standing by her own values, and refusing to take crap from life.

The only thing I felt was missing, was this big “secret” of Sophie’s. With all the buildup, I expected something a little more explosive, not grieving. Still, a nice, easy read that is both heartwarming and refreshing.

Warning to younger readers: although the book is tame, there are a few slightly racy scenes that might make you uncomfortable if you’re not used to reading more adult books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)