Monday, September 15, 2014

The One

Title: The One (The Selection #3)
Author: Kiera Cass
Genre: YA
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 10/10 (as usual)

Contains spoilers regarding the end pairing, so kindly avert your eyes if you don't want to know.
I could go on endlessly about why I love this book. But really, it comes down to the fact that I got to high-five my kindle at the end.
Just kidding.
Sort of.

No, but honestly, though. Throughout The Elite, the pain and heartache of a love triangle always kept me on the edge about whether or not my pairing would... pair out, pun intended. I had a feeling that was the only way to go, but you never know, what with authors taking drastic (and courageous) decisions lately, like killing off their protagonist (I don't need to name names, you all know what I'm talking about), so I wasn't quite sure. And I sort of loved that - that uncertainty right until the end, because I'll be honest, I always thought Aspen and Mer had more of a friends' relationship than anything, so when she starts looking at him a lot towards the end, it did make me worry for a second there. But, no, she pulled through in the end, and boy WHAT an end! 
I was nearly in tears, because holy shit Maxon, for a guy who swore up and down never to write a love letter, you sure wrote one pretty amazing one, damn you. And then I wanted to strangle him, and it was perfect. Absolutely perfect, because even at 98%, I still didn't know if he'd made it, and I just love it when books can keep me on edge like that. Bravo, Ms Cass, beautifully done.
As for America herself, well. She's spunky and I love her, what can I say? She does remind me of me a little, with all her foot-in-mouth situations, though I'm obviously no princess, so no one really cares ;)
It's sad that this is the last book - I was really looking forward to something about life in Ilea after the castes are gone... who knows? Maybe one day we'll get a short story revolving around married bliss that mentions how everything's going. I think I'd like that very much, cause I will miss that pig-headed prince (woops, King now!) of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)