Thursday, January 29, 2015

Ignite

Title: Ignite (Defy #2)
Author: Sara B. Larson
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 10/10

"Murder, abductions, and forbidden romance abound in this thrilling sequel to Sara B. Larson's acclaimed YA debut, DEFY.

Alexa remains by the newly crowned King Damian’s side as his guard, ever committed to helping him rebuild Antion and reclaim the hope of Antion's people, despite continuing to harbor a secret love for him. However, when another threat to Damian and his kingdom emerges, and blame is cast on their newly forged allies from Blevon, Alexa knows things are not what they seem. With the fate of her nation hanging in the balance once again, will Alexa be able to protect her king and uncover the true enemy -- before it's too late?"


**

Books like this are why I find myself more and more drawn to fantasy novels these days: good plot, good characters, amazing world construction and badass protagonists.

Alexa was as awesome as expected; I fell in love with her loyalty and perseverance in Defy, and she took it to a whole new level in Ignite. Larson has given us a true gift in Alexa - she's real, raw and believable. She loves with all her heart, but if you get on her wrong side, she'll hand you your ass on a platter first, and ask questions later.

As usual, all the kudos to Damian, who managed to make me giggle like a schoolgirl. The ending did piss me off, because experience tells me that keeping secrets (especially big ones like that) from each other is never a good idea, but I trust that things will turn out ok in the end... right? *sweats nervously*

I remember my lecturer telling us that, for a good story, you need to present the characters, make the reader fall in love with them and their cause, and then stack the odds against them in such a way that makes it seem impossible to overcome. And I have to say, Larson did that pretty early on, and she just keeps on adding to the pile, to the point where I can't see how they're plausibly going to get out of this - and in only one more book, too!

Basically, go read it now. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)